Tuesday 27 May 2014

Worship



From Kidnapped Culture:
She played with contrast, taking aspects of men’s fashion, such as oversized suit jackets, vests, and shirts, and accompanying them with leggings, fishnet gloves, stockings, and studded jewellery.

Never the victim, she was a woman in control of her image, and was a source of inspiration to many young girls, and ladyboys, who wanted to emulate that tough rocker chic. In make-up, the strong retro looks being worn today can be traced back to Siouxsie’s heavily lined eyes and bold coloured shadows. Bow down, worship, and celebrate her today. Without her, we are nothing.
Quite.

Siouxsie Sioux (born Susan Janet Dallion, 27th May 1957)

2 comments:

  1. My teenage crush! A poster of Siouxsie was on the back of my bedroom door throughout my adolescence. I still listen to the Banshees to this day on my iPod (I'd argue "Arabian Knights" is their eternal masterpiece). Saw Siouxsie and The Banshees (and The Creatures) many times over the years. Hadn't seen Siouxsie perform in quite a few years until her "comeback" performance at London's Meltdown Festival last summer - she was majestic and triumphant in a white rubber catsuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siouxsie was not so much a crush, as an icon - I wanted to be like her! I saw her and the Banshees on stage at the height of their powers in the "JuJu" era (1981), and yes, "Arabian Nights" and "Spellbound" were highlights. To my ultimate chagrin, I didn't manage to get to see her at The Roundhouse... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]