Sunday 7 December 2014

Imagination should never be limited















"Nothing is as dull as constant reality."

"Imagination should never be limited. It should be free and open, so it can soar. One has physical limitations or voice limitations, but the creativity in a person should never be limited."

"Actors have a magical difference from other people."

"[Endora] brings order out of chaos. I don't know anybody who hasn't said at some time 'Oh, I wish I didn't have to sweep the floor. I wish I didn't have to clean this or that. I wish I could snap my fingers and everything would be done!'"

"It's marvellous to be called a lovely witch!"


Agnes Robertson Moorehead (6th December 1900 - 30th April 1974)

Footnotes:
  • Miss Moorehead's career was mentored in the early years by the great maestro Orson Welles, who launched her on screen in Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons, for which she was nominated for an Oscar.
  • Despite her self-declared "fundamental" Christian beliefs and her lifelong support of the Republican Party, rumours abounded about her relationships with women including Paula Kelly; Paul Lynde once called her “one of the all-time Hollywood dykes”.
  • Her exact cause of death is shrouded by gossip, but many people point to the fact that of the cast and crew of Howard Hughes' The Conqueror in which Miss Moorehead also starred, 91 individuals including John Wayne, Pedro Armendáriz, Susan Hayward and director Dick Powell were all exposed to nuclear contamination on the film's location near a US testing site in Utah, and subsequently all died of various cancers.

8 comments:

  1. I mean, could anyone pull off blue shadow better than dear Agnes? My grandmother adored her so she gives me some childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could do that eyeshadow, honey! Jx

      Delete
  2. A lovely witch indeed and a fab actress to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more than a touch of Miss Jennifer Saunders in a couple of those pics, methinks. Jx

      Delete
  3. I loved her as Endora when I was a child. As an adult I re-discovered her wonderfulness in the Orson Welles films, and also in "The Opposite Sex," the fluffy 50's re-make of "The Women."

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of Americas best actresses with a great depth of character and so undervalued.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]