Tuesday 30 December 2014

The last survivor







And so, farewell Luise Rayner - the first actor to win multiple Academy Awards and the first to win them consecutively; the last survivor of a long-lost golden era of film - who has died at the grand old age of 104.

When she walked away from the despised "studio system" after her initial success, Louis B Mayer said: "We made you and we are going to destroy you."

"Well, he tried his best,"
she recalled later. "I replied: 'You are now 60 and I am 20. When I am 40, the age of a successful actress, you will be dead and I will live!'"

And she certainly did.

RIP Luise Rainer (12th January 1910 - 30th December 2014)

My previous entry for Miss Rainer.

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]