"It is vital to be photogenic from head to foot. After that you are allowed to display some measure of talent."
Musidora (Jeanne Roques, 23rd February 1889 – 11th December 1957), French star of the silent films Les Vampires (1915) and Judex (1916).
Facts about Musidora:
- Her stage name was taken from the protagonist of Théophile Gautier’s novel Fortunio.
- Her character in Les Vampires is called Irma Vep (an anagram of vampire).
- After her on-screen career ended she became a prolific writer in a variety of fields including films, plays, children's stories (which she also illustrated), songs, and even a history of the cinema.
- She directed numerous films, only two of which survive.
- On stage she often wore male clothing.
- Obviously a feisty and independent kind of gal, she apparently took to the bullring to prove women were brave enough to be allowed the vote in Spain.