Art Deco icon Billie Dove (born Lillian Bohny, 14th May 1903 - 31st December 1997)
Facts about Miss Dove:
- In the 1920s she was voted, with Clara Bow, as America's most popular actress.
- Her parents were Swiss immigrants, and as a child she spoke German before she spoke English.
- She began her career (as so many others) as one of Florenz Ziegfeld's girls.
- Apparently Howard Hughes paid Billie's husband $325,000 in thousand-dollar bills to divorce her so she could marry him. She never did.
- Dorothy Parker dedicated a book to her: "To Billie Dove, God loves her, I do, too."
- Her greatest on-screen collaborations were with the heartthrob John Gilbert, and, like him, she never transferred successfully to "talkies".
- She retired from the screen in 1933, and lived till she was 94.