Tuesday 26 January 2016

All right. War.









Vicomte de Valmont: " I thought betrayal was your favourite word."
Marquise de Merteuil: "No, no...'cruelty.' I always think that has a nobler ring to it."

Vicomte de Valmont: "I often wonder how you manage to invent yourself."
Marquise de Merteuil: "Well, I had no choice, did I? I'm a woman. Women are obliged to be far more skilful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words. So, of course, I had to invent, not only myself, but ways of escape no one has every thought of before. And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own."

Vicomte de Valmont: "Now, yes or no? It's up to you, of course. I will merely confine myself to remarking that a "no" will be regarded as a declaration of war. A single word is all that's required."
Marquise de Merteuil: "All right. War."

Ah, Dangerous Liaisons. How we loved it.

Happy 70th birthday today, Christopher Hampton - whose translation and adaptation brought this glamorously camp confection to the big screen.

And then there was the classic French and Saunders tribute...

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]