Tuesday 25 April 2017

Simply the greatest singer of them all







"The one radio voice that I listened to above others belonged to Ella Fitzgerald. There was a quality to her voice that fascinated me, and I'd sing along with her, trying to catch the subtle ways she shaded her voice, the casual yet clean way she sang the words." - Doris Day

"Ella's voice becomes the orchestra's richest and most versatile sound." - Arthur Fiedler

"Man, woman or child, Ella is the greatest of them all." - Bing Crosby

"The best way to start any musical evening is with this girl. It don't get better than this." - Frank Sinatra

"She has been one of my all-time favourite singers for many years and still is - she's terrific." - Perry Como

"She was the best. She was the best there ever was. Amongst all of us who sing, she was the best." - Johnny Mathis

"I call her the High Priestess of Song." - Mel Torme

"I was there from the beginning, and it was obvious from the start what she had that night at the Apollo. My goodness, what she's done with it." - Benny Carter

"Whatever she does to my songs, she always makes them sound better." - Richard Rodgers

"Ella is simply the greatest singer of them all." - Pearl Bailey

"If you want to learn how to sing, listen to Ella Fitzgerald." - Vincente Minnelli

"Ella is the boss lady. That's all." - Billy Strayhorn

"She brings out the best in everybody, making everyone work that much harder to keep up with her." - Andy Williams

"It is so much fun to sing with Ella. It is so nice to sing with someone who does more than make a pretty noise." - Jo Stafford

" She is amazingly creative, bringing so much more to a song than just a singer. She is a first-class musician and the most gracious person in the world." - Marty Paich



"A lot of singers think all they have to do is exercise their tonsils to get ahead. They refuse to look for new ideas and new outlets, so they fall by the wayside... I'm going to try to find out the new ideas before the others do."

"I sing like I feel."


Today is the centenary of one of the greatest voices who ever lived, Miss Ella Fitzgerald.

There are no equals.


Ella Jane Fitzgerald (25th April 1917 – 15th June 1996)

13 comments:

  1. "Ella's voice becomes the orchestra's richest and most versatile sound." And how true that quote is. My hat is off to you and the Mistress Borghese for such lovely tributes, from wince I came.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are no equals" - damn str8 (or gay)! happy 100, miss ella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply the Best.... HERE🍸 HERE🍸. Tonight, I'll have on our local classical jazz station on the radio...where they will play lots of Ella. I will listen on this rainy night, with candles, a G&T, and relax.

    Cheers darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could listen to her ANY night, with a G&T... Jx

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, thank you Jon! Imagine Chick Webb's when he found that Ella not only sang the vocal, she could sing the entire arrangement.

    In the early 80's i was rooming with an idiot who worked near Carnegie Hall and had to pass it every day. When Ella came to play the Newport Jazz Festival I gave him some cash and asked him to stop and get me the two best seats available. "oK," he said, adding, "Who is this woman again?"

    "Ella Fitzgerald," I replied, "she's an Irish folk singer."

    "Oh, OK," he said, "I'll get the best I can."

    Ella appeared, went immediately to the curve in the piano, planted herself against it and never moved. Her first two numbers sounded pretty rough, and my companion and I concluded the voice was shot. Boy, were we wrong. Ella simply no longer bothered with anything so mundane as warming up before comimng on -- her first two numbers were her warm up! After that she was in fine fettle and tore the roof off the place! So glad I got to see her in person...
    xoN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have read "Chick Webb's surprise..."

      Delete
    2. "she's an Irish folk singer." Love it! I am so jealous you got to see the Grand Dame before her final sad end. I was 21 and still living in Wales when she made her last UK concert appearance at the Grosvenor Hotel in London in 1984... Jx

      Delete
  5. Fabulous post! It is impossible to love her too much.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]