Sunday 28 October 2018

Faded the warmth



From The day is gone, and all its sweets are gone! by John Keats [whose birthday is celebrated on 31st October]:
Faded the flower and all its budded charms,
Faded the sight of beauty from my eyes,
Faded the shape of beauty from my arms,
Faded the voice, warmth, whiteness, paradise –
Vanish’d unseasonably at shut of eve,
When the dusk holiday – or holinight
Of fragrant-curtain’d love begins to weave
The woof of darkness thick, for hid delight
British Summer Time is ended.

Sob.

4 comments:

  1. Darling, you must focus on the "fragrant-curtain’d love..." whatever that is. And how you can say goodbye to weeding the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what "fragrant-curtain’d love" is either, but it obviously drove Keats to write about it.

      As for the garden, the weeds may not be growing, but oh! the dead leaves...

      Jx

      Delete
  2. world of darkness indeed. love the magazine cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am awaiting the "Autumn fashions AND millinery" of 1924 with bated breath! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]