Tuesday 17 November 2020

The only natural thing about any of this is the light

From an article by Abby Aguire in Vogue, May 2019:

If you approach Mother Ru from the side, as I did, the first thing you will need to process is the eyelashes. The skull-to-eyelash ratio is so physiologically improbable that it’s a good 30 seconds before I realize that Ru is not dressed as any of his familiar alter egos. Rather, he’s a modern facsimile of Queen Elizabeth I, clothed in a billowing gold-brocade skirt, a corset, and a halo of red dreadlocks.

He knows which side is his good side. He knows how the light is hitting. He knows to lower the lashes to half-mast and let them hover there as the camera clicks. And when, after a while, Leibovitz suggests he remove his headpiece, he knows to object.

“It becomes something else without the piece,” Ru says, gesturing to the rest of his puffy-sleeved costume. “The piece sells everything else.”

“Your hair becomes a crown,” Leibovitz says gently. The exchange goes on for two minutes. Finally, RuPaul puts his (combat boot–clad) foot down. Remove the piece, and he is no longer in character. “Everything here is overdone,” he says, motioning again to his look, and then to the surroundings. “The only natural thing about any of this is the light.”

It occurs to me that RuPaul has just offered up a definition of camp. (“The essence of camp is its love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration,” Susan Sontag wrote in “Notes on ‘Camp.’ ”) More remarkably, he and Leibovitz have just unwittingly re-created one of the photographer’s most memorable shoots.

You see, twelve years ago, when Leibovitz took official portraits of Queen Elizabeth II in full regalia at Buckingham Palace, one of America’s most well-known portrait photographers asked England’s longest-reigning monarch to remove her “crown.” (It was a tiara.) A BBC film crew captured the exchange.

Leibovitz: “It will look better - less dressy - because the garter robe is so...”

Queen Elizabeth II: “Less dressy? What do you think this is?”

The queen of the United Kingdom did not want to take off her headpiece. And here in beautiful downtown Burbank, neither does the Queen of Drag.

RuPaul is 60 years old today.

All Hail!

RuPaul (born RuPaul Andre Charles, 17th November 1960)

13 comments:

  1. ALL HAIL RUPAUL! she makes a better looking woman than I do, and I was born that way! rupaul and lady bunny are my two fave drag queens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather an irony for 'Merka, isn't it? One of the most successful, most glamorous women of the last three decades is a 6′ 4″ black man from San Diego... Jx

      Delete
    2. I think it's FABULOUS! those of us with open progressive minds don't care; those without brains scream their racist shit.

      Delete
  2. He/ she is gorgeous, love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too - and the fact she argued with Annie Leibovitz, no less, to get that photo just right... Jx

      Delete
  3. Rupaul is probably quite hard to argue with, I expect they've had to put their foot down a lot over the years. As has Annie Leibovitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few people who'd win a battle of wits with Ru. Jx

      Delete
    2. No, but Annie Leibovitz has definitely had to be very assertive too

      Delete
  4. 60 OMG she is younger than me
    I would never remove my crown for a photographer either.
    Fab photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you in that Queen Elizabeth I frock, too. Jx

      Delete
  5. J'Adore Ru. I think I'd argue about taking off my Crown for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One should never contradict a Queen when it comes to her crown... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]