Sunday 10 July 2011

Hello Jerry!

"I have a lot of friends who get up most mornings and go to jobs they absolutely hate. I don't think that's what life is about and I'm so fortunate that I actually love what I do." Jerry Herman



Composer, producer and musical genius Jerry Herman was born on 10th July 1931.

From The New York Daily News in 1998:
Jerry Herman sure knows how to crank out a hit tune.

In a career spanning nearly four decades, the songwriter has come up with one show-stopper after another for such beloved Broadway musicals as Hello Dolly, La Cage Aux Folles, Mame, Mack and Mabel.

Though critics and theatre snobs sometimes sneer that his work is oh, the horror! too accessible, Broadway audiences adore his instantly hummable melodies and catchy lyrics. Even someone who's never set foot in a theatre can probably sing a few bars of Hello, Dolly! or Mame or We Need a Little Christmas.

Writing hit songs comes easy to Herman. Some of his best in "Dolly" and "Mame", for instance took less than an hour to compose.

"I'm so fast it frightens me," he says. "I don't tell producers that, though, because I'm afraid they'll lower my royalties."



Happy 80th birthday to the man behind some of our best-loved shows here at Dolores Delargo Towers!



“When they passed out talent, Jerry stood in line twice.” Carol Channing

http://www.jerryherman.com/

[Of course I have written much about this beloved man before. Previous blogs about Mr Herman over at Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle may be found here, here and here.]

1 comment:

  1. Love the man. Love the music
    and Loved the second video

    Thanks for posting.
    t

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]