Sunday 24 August 2014

No more Dick









"Somebody who I think was having a go at me said that the problem with Attenborough is that substance matters much more to him than style. It was the most charming compliment that I could ever have been given. I do care about style. I do care, but I only care about style that serves the subject."

"I do not have a brain that I long for in dealing with matters of which I am ignorant, that don't come within my ken and a rationale, a reason, and argument and so on, and I can't do that and I'm not in that bracket at all."

"I just love biography, and I'm fascinated by people who have shifted our destinies or our points of view. I prefer fact to fiction."

"At my age the only problem is with remembering names. When I call everyone 'darling', it has damn all to do with passionately adoring them, but I know I'm safe calling them that."


Whether as an actor - in such classics as In Which We Serve, Brighton Rock, The Great Escape, 10 Rillington Place or even Jurassic Park - or producer - Gandhi, Oh! What a Lovely War, Cry Freedom and Shadowlands among many others - Richard Attenborough's career was indeed remarkable. Along with his brother (that "national treasure" David), he was more of an "institution" than merely a showbiz legend. He out-classed them all, and we will miss him.

RIP, Dickie!

Richard Samuel Attenborough, Baron Attenborough, CBE (29th August 1923 – 24th August 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]