Tuesday 8 March 2022

The Miss Finklea Mysteries

There may be quite a lot going on the world to preoccupy the media, but one would have thought there might have been some mention, somewhere, of the fact that today marks the centenary of the birth of the magnificent Cyd Charisse? Thereby hangs a tale, dear reader...

According to the Handbook of Texas [NB the former Miss Tula Ellice Finklea was born and raised in Amarillo], her birth date was 8th March 1922. This is also the date cited by IMDB, in her obituary in the LA Times and in the report in Reuters. However Wikipedia, citing her obituary in The Guardian, sets it a year earlier in 2021. Lazy so-called journalists these days mainly take their information from Wikipedia, without verifying it - if they can't see it on Tw*tter, of course - so this may explain the complete lack of hoo-ha in the press.

Never mind all that, we at Dolores Delargo Towers adore the great lady, so we raise a toast...

...All hail the woman with the finest legs in showbiz!

More Cyd here, , here and here.

6 comments:

  1. I adored me A LOT of Cyd Charisse...a close tie for me with Ann Miller.

    I was saddened by both when they passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two ends of a huge, glittering spectrum of glamorous on-screen hoofers, the like of which we will never see again. Sadly. Jx

      Delete
  2. Mad for Bandwagon. Dancing In The Dark... Back in the 90's I was in a touring revue... three other performers. A USO Salute and my duet partner was this gorgeous blonde. I made her learn the choreography for Dancing in the Dark. We looked magnificent. Both tall and lean. It was a show stopper - and she'd never danced a day in her life. I worked her so hard. I should have never left that damn tour. But I fell in love and moved to Los Angeles. Dumb bunny. I could have ridden that show to the very end... thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens, Mr King - you are full of surprises! Any footage of your "twinkle-toes years"? Jx

      Delete
  3. Sorry I still see Dawn French in my head !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many classic movies are forever imprinted with the image of French and Saunders! I will never be able to watch anything by Fellini or Ingmar Bergman, nor Silence of the Lambs, again without laughing... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]