Saturday 13 January 2024

All Hale

Oh heavens. Another personal icon has gone!.

I really couldn't say it any better than this from a super-fan:

"Can’t even begin to express how much I loved Georgina Hale. She was a cross between Mae West, Fenella Fielding and a careworn Sindy Doll."

She was all that, and more - a RADA-trained alumnus of the Royal Shakespeare Company, she played Adam Faith's "wife" in Budgie, the second witch in T-Bag, and character roles in (among many, many others) Emmerdale, Minder, The Sweeney, One Foot in the Grave, Hollyoaks and The Bill; she was a favourite "muse" of the legendary Ken Russell - who cast her in Mahler, The Devils, Lisztomania and The Boy Friend - and was also a lauded theatre actor in such roles as "Josie" in Steaming, "Crystal Allen" in an adaptation of The Women, and leading roles in plays by Beckett, Chekhov and Ayckbourn. Whew.

Miss Hale had such allure that it made me smile every time I saw her name in the credits - the purse-lipped, purring way she delivered her lines was unique, and always endearing. We'll miss her.

RIP, Georgina Hale (4th August 1943 – 4th January 2024)

4 comments:

  1. Well, bugger! Lose any more and there'll be only old has-beens like me! Ms Hale had a good innings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Hale was a particularly sad loss - I not long ago added her framed autograph to our "Wall of Fame". A much underrated actress; I loved her. Jx

      Delete
  2. Adorable and adored.
    Another sad loss.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]