The exhibition Schiaparelli: Fashion Becomes Art that we went to see yesterday at the V&A museum was - as ever, with the expert curation they have always employed - a superb, comprehensive, and utterly dazzling display of the creative talents of Madame Elsa Schiaparelli, the couture empire she founded, and its legacy today [the fashion house was revived in 2013 after almost 60 years, with Christian Lacroix as then creative director].
Myriad original Schiaparelli designs on show, from the "formal" to the frivolous, were a feast for the senses [click any photo to enlarge, or right-click and "open in new tab" for even greater detail]:
Her playfulness extended to the minutest details - trims, patterns, and in particular the buttons (a whole room of which were also there to view in all their spectacular glory):
Speaking of accessories...
Inevitably, amongst all the beautiful gowns on offer, it's the rare survivors from her famed Surrealist collaborations - with the likes of Salvador Dali and Jean Cocteau - that are the stars of the show:
The output of the relaunched House of Schiaparelli was no less impressive, of course - pieces have featured everywhere from catwalks to red carpets to the Met Gala - and whole galleries of those were there, too:
However, if I really have to make a choice among my favourites of the whole collection, they would have to be these...
A splendid way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
If you can, book tickets today! Schiaparelli: Fashion Becomes Art runs until 8th November 2026.
























Fabulous! And quirky...#5 has pockets like bikini bottoms!
ReplyDelete"Quirky" is definitely the word! Only Elsa would have dared to do half the things she did with fashion... Jx
DeleteThe two red dresses are sublime
ReplyDeleteThey certainly were! The first (at #4 in the first block) is a Schiaparelli original from 1932, and the second (at #2 in the fifth block) is new one, designed by current creative director Daniel Roseberry and worn by Ariana Grande at the Oscars in 2025. Jx
DeleteOne of my favorite courtiers. If I could be in Londontown, I'd be heading there forthwith. I mean to say, living on the seaside now, the lobster dress could get me lots of wear and attention.
ReplyDeleteThere were some lovely "summer frocks" in the collection. I'm not sure anyone would want to wear a "Wally Simpson cast-off"... Jx
DeleteCan I have the scarlet glittery dress please? I love it.
ReplyDeleteSx
You'd need to fight Ariana Grande for it. Jx
DeleteReally?!! It’s in my size then! I want it even more!
DeleteSx
Small people have the best taste!
DeleteSx
I always saw you as "Glinda the Good Witch"... Jx
Delete+ Moda d’avanguardia
ReplyDeleteSchiaparelli e il surrealismo andavano di pari passo.
Nel mondo della moda, tutte le strade portano a Parigi.
Turinese 🇮🇹
Ah yes - Paris was definitely her playground, and at one time she was a genuine threat to Chanel's crown! Hence why Coco bitched about her so much. Jx
DeleteOoh, I want the black jacket with the MASSIVE embroidered gold tassels covering the boobs (#3 in the 2nd block) and the spiky gold & pearls thing from the accessories collection (#1 in the 3rd block). And the bustier with the tail while I'm at it.
ReplyDeleteThe black jacket is a Schiaparelli original - and meant to represent the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles. I'll fight you for that spiky "necklace" - but you can have the "scorpion bustier". Perfect for trips to the allotment. Jx
DeleteFab Photos of a truly amazing and expertly curated exhibition.
ReplyDeleteIt was a superb exhibition! So glad we went. Jx
Delete