Wednesday 1 November 2023

A human being that has sung, always, all her life

"I never wanted to be a singer... I like what it is to sing, or to be with others singing, to make music. But the fuss, and all the things that are the exterior part of a career, has never interested me. So I don’t think in reality I am a singer. I think I am a human being that has sung, always, all her life."

We have a centenary to celebrate...

...that of the magnificent Victoria de los Ángeles!

Renowned as a "non-diva-like" Diva in the operatic world, she nevertheless beat the likes of Renata Tebaldi, Régine Crespin, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Kirsten Flagstad, Montserrat Caballé, Birgit Nilsson and Leontyne Price to be voted #3 of "The 20 Greatest Sopranos of all time" (according to BBC Classical Music magazine).

We adore her here at Dolores Delargo Towers, not least for this [probably the best recording of the Songs of the Auvergne ever made]:

...and then, there's this...

¡Maravilloso!

Victoria de los Ángeles López García (1st November 1923 – 15th January 2005)

4 comments:

  1. Belle soprano lyrique d'Espagne.
    Un si grand talent parfois négligé, Callas était le favori.
    Comme Cabale et Sutherland, de los Angeles s'est imposée dans le monde de l'opéra. Aujourd'iu, une fondation et une école portent son nom. Arriba.
    *d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is somewhat overlooked outside Spain! Though Montserrat Caballé became famous via the Barcelona Olympics thanks to her duet with Freddie for its opening ceremony (pre-recorded; he died before the Olympics themselves took place), Señorita de los Angeles (who performed at the Grand Finale of the same event) did not get a look in... Jx

      Delete
  2. A truly great voice and a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]