Saturday 2 December 2023

There is only one way, one voice. Yours.

"An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I've left the opera house."

"Art is domination. It's making people think that for that precise moment in time there is only one way, one voice. Yours."

"I don't know what happens to me on stage. Something else seems to take over."

"I don't need the money, dear. I work for art."

"I am not an angel and do not pretend to be. That is not one of my roles. But I am not the devil either. I am a woman and a serious artist, and I would like so to be judged."

"You are born an artist or you are not. And you stay an artist, dear, even if your voice is less of a fireworks. The artist is always there."

"When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping."

One hundred years ago, the Diva to beat all Divas was born.

All hail!

Maria Callas (2nd December 1923 – 16th September 1977)

11 comments:

  1. She wasn't called
    "Voce di Angelo"
    "La Divina" "The Divine One"
    and
    "La tigre" "The Tigress"
    For nothing!

    Fab photos of an amazingingly talented Artist.
    "When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping."
      I think I shall get a t-shirt printed with that on. Jx

      Delete
  2. She always looks like a Disney villain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, maybe all Disney villains were based upon Callas? Jx

      Delete
    2. Mother Gotchel is Joan Crawford surely?

      And the Evil Queen in Snow White looks suspiciously like Helen Gahagan Douglas in She n

      Delete
    3. No idea who "Mother Gotchel" or "Helen-whatever-her-name-is" are. Thankfully. Jx

      Delete
    4. You don't have little girls! You'd have seen Tangled at some point if you had. (My niece was obsessed, when she was the right age for Disney films.)

      Walt Disney ripped off the Wicked Queen's look from a 1932 Hollywood version of She.

      Delete
    5. Ursula the Sea Witch was based on Divine. Jx

      Delete
    6. Ursula would have been way more fun in bed than the little mermaid. Prince Eric should have taken his chances with her

      Delete
  3. Diva Callas incomparable à sa manière.
    * d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]