
[click any photo to enlarge]
The sumptuous exhibition Queen Elizabeth II: Her Life in Style, that we went to see with our mother on Saturday was everything one could have asked for, and more.
Frocks and outfits that traced the life of the late, dearly departed Queen - from her childhood and teenage years to debutante, to her marriage [gown #3, above], accession [Coronation dress, #4 above], through all stages of her long reign, formal and informal, from the most sparkling ballgowns and outfits from her myriad Royal tours and Silver, Gold, Diamond and Platinum Jubilees, to the headscarf-and-tweeds she wore on her estates, right through to her latter "Rainbow Queen" years with her famous bright coordinated single-colour outfits ["I have to be seen to be believed", was her quote] - everything was on display [in the relatively small series of rooms that comprise The King's Gallery at the rear of Buckingham Palace]!
..and then there were the tiaras!
It was a fantastic exhibition! What an indelible legacy HM The Queen left us...







Wow! She had some pretty frocks! Anything in blue gingham?
ReplyDeleteSx
Hartnell and the rest did her proud - what was remarkable was how tiny she was, and she had the smallest of waists when she was younger!
DeleteI couldn't see much in the way of gingham on display... Jx
I’ve seen Princess Ann in the flesh and she was tiny, too. A lot prettier than you’d think from her photos. I always thought that Elizabeth was prettier than Margaret.
DeleteSx
I agree about both Princesses Anne and Margaret. However, the one thing that Margaret had that none of the other Royals had was the freedom to be daringly glamorous and outrageous, outside "The Firm" - and basically do what the hell she liked! Jx
DeleteA handsome exbibit! I envy you saw this and thank you for sharing your take with us dear. I adored her because she was one lady whom was not afraid of color. Her wardrobe I feel reflected her vibrant side. So many colors!
ReplyDeleteThere's not a single colour in the palette that she didn't wear, at some stage in her life! An inspiration to us all. Jx
DeleteQuite lovely
ReplyDeleteIt was splendid in every way! Jx
DeleteLucky lady that she had dressers who knew how to accentuate her qood bones.
ReplyDeleteNorman Hartnell and Hardy Amies both knew how to make her look stunning, and her faithful personal dresser Angela Hartnett made sure that everything was made or created to suit Her Majesty on any occasion. If you're The Queen, you get the best! Jx
DeleteWhat an absolutely stunning array! I'd want to touch them all but I take it they're all behind glass or out of reach?
ReplyDeleteAnd what great photos. Did you have enough time and space to have a good look at everything?
In the colourful double row (above the hat photos), there are a couple that look like they might have inspired (or been inspired by, depending on their age) some Star Trek costumes - Captain Kirk's dress uniform, for one.
If either of the tiaras had not been behind bulletproof glass, I might have been wearing one to my sister's birthday party!
DeleteIt was crowded, but we managed to get to see it all - Mother had her walker, so she could get through crowds like Boadicea. I'm not sure I saw any outfit that resembled a Star Trek one, unless Spock wore a headscarf, tweeds and wellies at any stage? Jx
I was amazed by how much there was to see and it was arranged and put together very well
ReplyDeleteLoved it and so glad we went to see it.
I am very pleased we went to see it, too - I very much doubt that many outfits from Her Maj's long life will be together in one place again... Jx
DeleteLa Grande-Bretagne devrait avoir un musée consacré à la reine Elizabeth ll.
ReplyDelete* d’Anjou 🇨🇦🇬🇧
After serving as our monarch for 70 years and 214 days, most of Great Britain IS a museum to HM The Queen Elizabeth II..! Jx
DeleteHartnell and Amies work can be seen in vintage fashion videos on YouTube.
ReplyDeleteJoan Rivers use to joke that the Queen was the lady in the coat-dress with the big crown. :-)
Joan Rivers was consistently rude about The Queen. Jx
Delete