Thursday, 10 September 2026

Rubens with jokes

It's the centenary today of the birth of that most beloved of British artists, the wonderful, quirky and humorous Beryl Cook!

Described by Victoria Wood as "Rubens with jokes", Beryl Cook's work was just so instantly recognisable that it is no wonder that the public took to her work in such a big way - whether in greetings cards, calendars or prints. Vulgar, always larger-than-life, and uplifting, Beryl's fat and jolly characters are very British - like a smutty seaside postcard, or a Hattie Jacques innuendo in a Carry On film.



The big, fun-loving characters featured in her work were largely inspired by people in Plymouth's pubs, including the long-gone gay pub the Lockyer Tavern [haunt of the youthful Madam Arcati]. In fact, Beryl was a well-known and admired character on the gay scene in the city over the decades, often popping up in the back bar of The Swallow or in the locally fondly-remembered Mr Harry's nightclub.

There was nobody quite like Beryl! Beryl Cook (10th September 1926 – 28th May 2008)

8 comments:

  1. My friend sent me a Beryl Cook book for my birthday - I've always loved these paintings!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - you just can't help but smile at Beryl's works. Jx

      Delete
  2. I loved looking through all the Beryl Cook birthday cards (I haven't noticed so many around lately, though) - although it's very difficult to choose just one (I often came away with 3 or 4).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was destined to be featured on greetings cards, wasn't she? All of her work is so jolly. Jx

      Delete
  3. I think my fave was the eclair castanets! All so jolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - the temptation of dancing on the table at a vicar's tea party! Love it. Jx

      Delete
  4. As you know I knew her very well and should have been in that last painting but I was quite young and too shy !
    I so wish I had said yes.
    it is always the things you didn't do that you regret seldom the things you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too young and too shy is always a state of mind we regret in hindsight... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]