Sunday 10 June 2012

Tears and laughter



“[I was] the only child in the audience that always wondered why Dorothy ever wanted to go back to Kansas. Why would she want to go back to Kansas, in this dreary black and white farm with an aunt who dressed badly and seemed mean to me, when she could live with magic shoes, winged monkeys and gay lions? I never understood it.”
John Waters













“I try to bring the audience's own drama - tears and laughter they know about - to them.”

“If you sit down for 20 minutes in this business now it's a comeback.”

“I believe in the idea of the rainbow. And I've spent my entire life trying to get over it.”

“Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.”


Judy Garland (10th June 1922 – 22nd June 1969)


The Judy Garland Museum

8 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the alternate takes they shot of this number? They're amazing, and not just slightly tweaked around the edges, but completely, radically different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard different interpretations of the song by La Garland, but never seen the outtakes... Jx

      Delete
  2. I laughed my head of when I first heard that quite from John Waters. I adore him and his humour (I hate standup comedy, but his DVD This Filthy World is hilarious).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have managed twice to miss the great man appearing in person on London's South Bank in that show. Both times at Xmas, when there's so much else going on. I hate being on an austerity budget... Jx

      Delete
  3. Yes, money can be SUCH pain! Do check out the DVD if you can though, it's hilarious (not to mention his CD collection of christmas songs - he also released a simular CD with Valentine songs, which I simply must get!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have Mr Waters' Christmas CD - a fine collection of weirdness! Jx

      Delete
  4. I don´t think I have ever laughed so much while listening to a CD (except for "Mud Will Be Flung Tonight" by Bette Midler and RuPauls's "Ho!Ho!Ho!").

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]