Sunday 2 May 2021

Olympian talent

"You have to know what you want and go for it. Don't let the money be an issue. You can always pay your bills if you're willing to work."


Very sad news today - one of my favourite actresses Olympia Dukakis has departed for Fabulon.

As I said in my tribute to her way back in 2009:

This lady is one of a rare breed, for if ever I see her name in the credits, I know that a film is going to have at least one scene worth watching!

Although her film career stretches all the way back to the 1960s, it was really only in the 80s that the world took notice of this feisty little Greek mama, in films such as Moonstruck and Steel Magnolias.

But it is for her Emmy-award-winning performance as the enigmatic Mrs Madrigal in Tales of the City that we love her the most, of course (although I must admit her cameo in Jeffrey as the proud mother of the "pre-operative transsexual lesbian son" is perhaps one of my personal favourites!). Here are a few small clips of the talent that is [was] Olympia Dukakis...




RIP, Olympia Mary Dukakis (20th June 1931 – 1st May 2021)

11 comments:

  1. She was Fabulous in every thing she was in.
    Every performance a joy to watch
    Adorable and adored. She will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad. "If you can't say something nice... come sit by me." She was an amazing talent. Enjoyed her work so much over the years. She helped ground Moonlighting - without her it would have felt a tad ridiculous. And I remember watching all of Tales of the City on this horrible tiny black and white orange television that got terrible reception and the picture barely had any depth... but I tuned in, because I was in Iowa (a terrible state) and alone and she brought me such comfort. RIP, indeed. Will miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was magnificent in Tales of the City. A great show all round - and finally made Mr Maupin's stories easy to follow (unlike his books, which I find an extremely turgid read).

      Miss Dukakis was an amazing actress, indeed. Jx

      Delete
  3. a beautiful woman and a successful one too. she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was in an oddball comedy here with Derek Fowlds and Sigrid Thornton. Called "over the Hill" I think and damn! it was good and I can't say that about many Aussie films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very strange casting, indeed. Never heard of it.

      As for Aussie films - I can cite Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (of course!), Moulin Rouge (of course!), Crocodile Dundee, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Muriel's Wedding (of course!) and Strictly Ballroom [which, to my ultimate shame, I have never actually seen in its entirety].

      Jx

      Delete
  5. I'm sad to hear she's past on, but of course, no one lives forever. I was just thinking about re-watching Steel Magnolias when I saw that she'd died. I love that movie, especially when I need a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I know many of the classic lines from that movie, I've never actually seen it! "Girl-buddy" films were never really my thing... Jx

      Delete
    2. Funny you say that, it's not in my typical genre but the writing and performances earn it a special place. I tend towards fantasy/action adventure, historical or documentaries.

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]