Sunday 29 August 2021

Ageless Style


  • "I never care much what people think. I honestly don’t; I don’t pay any attention to the fashion police.
  • I don't do minimal."
  • "Clothes are not frippery. Properly done, they can be an art form... They are a great vehicle for explaining who you are."
  • "I’ve never tried to be a rebel or upset anybody. I just figured if I pleased my husband, and my mother didn’t get upset, then I was okay."
  • "People with a lot of money don’t dress as well as people who have to make do, who have to be inventive. Those are the people who are always more interestingly dressed, I think."
  • "Diamond necklaces don’t appeal to me at all. I prefer fun jewellery with big stones - so large they would be untouchable if they were real."
  • "Now, don’t get me wrong. I do appreciate Daddy Warbucks-size stones, like a big, flawed emerald. I love stones that are inherently flawed: rock crystal, turquoise with big veins."
We have a very special centenary today - and, for once, the celebrant is very much alive!

Many happy returns, fashion muse, Patron Saint, style icon, model, businesswoman and inpiration to everyone concerned about getting older, Miss Iris Apfel!

Iris Apfel (née Barrel, born 29th August 1921)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, good for her. She was part of this documentary I watched once about older women with style. It was fascinating. So happy to see she's still with us and going strong. Gives us all hope. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May she live forever and it looks like she will !

    ReplyDelete
  3. L'adorable Iris, une si charmante et douce dame. Son sens de la mode la rend iconique. *d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The iconic lady is (remarkably) still with us, and no doubt still sporting the chunkiest jewellery and the brightest outfits. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]