Thursday 29 December 2022

Viv

“It is not possible for a man to be elegant without a touch of femininity.”

“I never look at fashion magazines. I find them incredibly boring. To me, reading a fashion magazine is the last thing I need to do. I've got books I need to read. More people should read books. It's the most concentrated experience you can have. You know, all those incredible geniuses concentrated their lifetimes' experiences in books. It's much better than chattering away to somebody who's never read anything and knows nothing at all.”

“Culture is necessary for human beings to evolve into better creatures.”

"If you wear clothes that don't suit you, you're a fashion victim. You have to wear clothes that make you look better."

"I may be a rebel, but I am not an outsider."

"If in doubt, dress up."

Yet another icon has departed, on a mission to make Fabulon a more stylish place...


RIP, Dame Vivienne Westwood DBE RDI (8th April 1941 – 29th December 2022)

15 comments:

  1. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Our news made not one mention of her passing!!!! Sacrilegious I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing surprises me about the blinkered meeja in 'Merka anymore. Everyone's too busy navel-gazing. Jx

      Delete
    2. CNN finally made a 5-minute mention, late tonight I may add. How sad. Yet a screw ball You Tuber croaks and we get a damn hour long journey of a life that contributed nothing, except to lower IQ's

      Delete
    3. American media doesn't want people to know facts! It lives in fear of telling people anything that does not toe the social media line that celebrity is god, America is the only country in the world that matters, and truth is "fake news". Jx

      Delete
  2. A great loss. she was amazing and down to earth at the same time. Very sad news.

    "If in doubt, dress up."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a very clever woman, to boot - she always knew where to go with her fashion ideas, and made a multi-million pound empire out of bondage gear, pirate outfits and masquerade ball costumes. Loved her! Jx

      Delete
  3. On those odd occasions when I try and think of which designer I'd go with (if money was no object, of course), Vivienne Westwood is the first who springs to mind. Instantly recognisable, and one is guaranteed to stand out - "If in doubt, dress up" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to see you dressed in full Westwood pirate get-up! Jx

      Delete
  4. The Sex Pistols "Fifth Beatle". Are other bands allowed to have a Fifth Beatle? The actual Beatles have about eighty of them so I don't know why not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure she and the Pistols really were that close, despite the fact that Steve Jones was one of her shop assistants, and despite the fact she allegedly talked them into recruiting Sid Vicious. They were Malcolm's project - and knowing what a controlling bastard he was to her, he probably forced the split between "his" music and "her" clothes. I think she had the last laugh. Jx

      Delete
    2. Well compared to how tenuous some people's claim on being the fifth Beatle is...

      Delete
  5. She re-branded the term "style"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and shook up the fashion world good-and-proper. Without her, where would the likes of John Galliano or Alexander McQueen have been? Jx

      Delete
  6. Such a strange career... she had a look and a style unlike anyone. She also paved the way for other designers to cut loose and allow their edgier natures to come through. Her influence can be seen on shows like Runway and Making The Cut. RIP. She was one of my favorite punks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]