Wednesday 27 March 2024

The Divine One

We have a centenary to celebrate...

One of the most distinctive and remarkable singers ever, the much-missed magnificent Miss Sarah Vaughan was born one hundred years ago today!

Suffice to say, her music speaks for itself:

No-one else could do what "Sassy" did!

"I am not a special person. I am a regular person who does special things."

"When I sing, trouble can sit right on my shoulder and I don't even notice."

"There's a category for me. I like to be referred to as a good singer of good songs in good taste."

"As soon as I hear an arrangement, I get ideas, kind of like blowing a horn. I guess I never sing a tune the same way twice..."

"There are notes between notes, you know."

Sheer class.

Sarah Lois Vaughan (27th March 1924 - 3rd April 1990)

4 comments:

  1. You can guess which list she's on in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are notes between notes, you know." I love this quote.
    There never was a voice like hers and never will be again.

    Humphrey Lyttelton described her voice simply and exactly; - Velvet

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]