Thursday 11 July 2024

Aa-aa-Armani





Officially the most successful Italian designer ever (his fortune is estimated at five billion pounds!), Signor Giorgio Armani celebrates his 90th birthday today.

As famous for underpants, watches and accessories as for his sharp suits, his has been the style of choice for generations of stars of music, sport and the silver screen, politicians, dignitaries and even the Milanese police force.

Facts about Signor Armani:

  • He was born in the northern Italian town of Piacenza, of Armenian and Italian descent.
  • After military service as a young man, he became a window dresser at La Rinascente department store in Milan.
  • Having worked on a freelance basis for myriad designers including Zegna, Cerruti and Loewe, the first pieces he designed under his own name were a series of leather bomber jackets in 1970.
  • While building his fashion empire, he also designed costumes for more than one hundred films including American Gigolo and The Untouchables.
  • When in 1975 he brought out a womenswear line using men's fabrics, he set the wheels in motion for the "power dressing" look that became synonymous with the 80s.
  • Among his many commissions, he designed the costume worn by Spanish bullfighter Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez, the suits for the England football team (twice), and the cover of a book of gospels for the Pope.

So world-famous is Giorgio Armani, he's name-checked in loads of songs, from rap to pop to musical theatre. Not least, this one (a further tribute to another celebrant of a milestone birthday this week, Mr Neil Tennant):



Giorgio Armani (born 11th July 1934)

12 comments:

  1. 90!!!!! All the greats will soon be gone! I have one pair of black Armani pants...I splurged once. And they fit like a glove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had an item of Armani in my wardrobe (not even underpants) - even through I've trawled charity shops up and down the country, always checking labels! Jx

      PS Yes, everyone's getting older, dear. Even us...

      Delete
    2. I keep my portrait up in the attic.

      Delete
  2. In the early 80’s Armani launched their first perfume - it was absolutely the best scent ever. And then it was discontinued. I still Google in the hope of a relaunch. I still pine for it. None of their other perfumes come close to how good that first one was. Why Armani? Why did give me almost 30 years of unrequited perfume love?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giorgio's perfumes seem to have a recurring history of discontinued lines - his famous Acqua Di Giò fragrances of the 90s are no longer in stock, either...

      My enduring memory of 80s perfumes is the sheer overpowering strength of them - Kouros, Fahrenheit, Poison and, worst of the lot, Drakkar Noir are just a few that I remember, with a slight sense of nausea. I can only assume they were invented to mask the combined smells of fag smoke, B.O. and the stench of nightclub toilets, or something... Jx

      Delete
    2. I didn’t like Acqua Di Gio - someone bought it for me because they couldn’t get the discontinued one. I have fond memories of Poison though! It was a mad scent that at first was completely overpowering. What about Jazz aftershave?! Walk into an 80’s nightclub and I swear every other man was wearing it!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Oh, gawd - I forgot about Jazz!

      Poison is still alive and kicking, it's just now called Red Bull - both stink to high heaven, and are extremely unpleasant in enclosed spaces, like on the bus. Jx

      Delete
    4. I can't lie, I use to love Fahrenheit. It had such a unique scent at the time in a crowd field of awful smelling tripe. Loved it for the summer months. And I used to love wearing the women's Poison. With my chemistry, it seems in the 90's men could resist the smell on me. It was my secret what it was.

      But Drakkar Noir! God awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just may be worst then a pair of crocs. My two main stays now seem to be Eau d'Orange by Hermes, and L'Eau D' Issey, by Issey Miyake.

      Delete
    5. Oh - Mistress Maddie left a perfume comment here, and I came back to agree with her about Issey Miyake! I will throw another hissy fit if they ever discontinue that one!
      Sx

      Delete
    6. For some odd reason Maddie's comment went to junk.

      Mads - I cannot bear the cloying scent of Fahrenheit nor Poison on anyone. I agree with you both, however about L'Eau D' Issey by Issey Miyake - that's my cologne of choice, too! The Madam also has a bottle of Terre d'Hermes, which is lovely, and another of Pursuit by Dunhill, which is even nicer. Jx

      Delete
  3. I don't want no Gucci
    I don't want no Prada
    I don't want no Pucci
    In my Lemonada
    Listen to me now
    Cause I will tell you honey
    Nothing is as perfect
    As Giorgio Armani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giorgio Armani, fashion is my life (Giorgio Armani)
      Giorgio Armani, I can be your wife (I can be your wife)
      Come into my life


      Obscure choice... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]