Tuesday 29 December 2020

Aventurier et iconoclaste

And so, farewell to the last of the truly great fashion designers of the post-War era, M Pierre Cardin - departed for Fabulon, where he will no doubt improve the decor and attire.

Always ahead of his time, his creations were futuristic, daring and, ultimately, wildly popular - it was his collarless jackets that made the Beatles' image so instantly recognisable, and all the premier fashionistas of the day flocked to wear his clothes. He premiered couture for men, as well as off-the-peg fashion lines, and was the first of his ilk to use his name as a brand for non-fashion ranges such as sunglasses, watches and perfume.

Repose en Paix, Pierre Cardin (born Pietro Costante Cardin, 2nd July 1922 – 29th December 2020)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Same age as Betty White - but younger than Iris Apfel, who is 99! Jx

      Delete
  2. Sad part was...I thought he was dead already. I can still see me fathers Pierre Cardin colonge bottom on the bathroom shelf. It was all he wore.Scent wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He managed to see them all off - even Karl Lagerfeld!

      I'm not sure I've ever tried the cologne. If ever any proper shops are able to re-open in London, I must remember to grab a spray sample... Jx

      Delete
  3. I am hopeless when it comes to fashion and designers, so while I recognise names and styles I can't match them up, so thank you Jon for the education!

    I do rather like the blocky shapes and colours in that picture above - And the collars! I spy a ladybird, a Dalmation, and a young Santa Claus apparently employed as a festive binman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine if Pierre Cardin ever did the costumes for a pantomime! It would be rather fab.

      "C'est derrière toi!", "Oh oui ça l'est!", "Oh non, ça ne l'est pas!", etcetera, etcetera... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]