Sunday 14 March 2021

Thanks to you

Gran: "You've got your grandmother's hips."
Edina: "Thanks to you. Thanks for all the chips and lard and potatoes and white bread and suet pudding covered in treacle I had to eat as a child. You know, the endless cups of sugary tea..."
Gran: "Mr Whippy."
Edina: "Biscuits and chips and meat fried in six inches of animal fat. Thanks to that!"
Gran: "Before we had the deep freeze."
Edina: "God, even then it was the same food, only colder. And do you know, darling, the real problems started, sweetie, because I wasn't even breast-fed."
Gran: "Don't be ridiculous, dear. It wasn't done in those days, Imagine me having that clamped to my breast."
Edina: "What you two don't seem to realise is that inside of me, inside of me, there's a thin person just screaming to get out."
Gran: "Just the one, dear?"

It's Mothers'Day Mothering Sunday again, dear reader!

Hope you sent a bouquet...

12 comments:

  1. Edina didn't deserve a mum like June Whitfield
    and
    Saffron didn't deserve a mum like Edina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you had a mother like Pasty Stone. " Oh for God's sake...just die"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You little bitch troll from hell!"

      Cheers, sweetie, thanks a lot. Jx

      Delete
  3. Loved that show. What a wonderful assortment of comedy actresses. Jo Brand guest starred in it once, and Ruby Wax

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been rewatching it on iPlayer this past week. I've just finished The Last Shout and I'm about to start series 4.

    One of the best/only 'protective mother' moments by Edina was when she punched Saffy's lecherous psychology lecturer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My GAWD... you had me in a panic. I had to google MOTHER'S DAY 2021. No. I'm not in a coma. Whew. Well, we may not like them, but we have to love and honor them.

    Gran really had some great lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of Oscar Wilde: "...we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." Or in this case, different dates for Mothers' Day. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]