Sunday 28 March 2021

The seed grows, the meadow blows


"Summer Breeze" by Erte - click to enlarge

The Cuckoo Song
(Traditional 13th century)

Sing, cuccu, nu. Sing, cuccu.
Sing, cuccu. Sing, cuccu, nu.

Sumer is i-cumin in—
Lhude sing, cuccu!
Groweth sed and bloweth med
And springth the wude nu.
Sing, cuccu!

Awe bleteth after lomb,
Lhouth after calve cu,
Bulluc sterteth, bucke verteth
Murie sing, cuccu!
Cuccu, cuccu,
Wel singes thu, cuccu.
Ne swik thu naver nu!

OR (in a loose translation/interpretation by American poet Michael R. Burch):

Sing now cuckoo! Sing, cuckoo!
Sing, cuckoo! Sing now cuckoo!

Summer is a-comin'!
Sing loud, cuckoo!
The seed grows,
The meadow blows,
The woods spring up anew.
Sing, cuckoo!

The ewe bleats for her lamb;
The cows contentedly moo;
The bullock roots;
The billy-goat poots ...
Sing merrily, cuckoo!

Cuckoo, cuckoo,
You sing so well, cuckoo!
Never stop, until you're through!

The Vernal Equinox was last weekend. Last night our clocks went forward - British Summer Time has arrived!

Long, light, languid evenings are beckoning, dear reader...

10 comments:

  1. Lovely choice of art! I really had a thing for Erté's work back when I was in art school, but had almost forgotten it until now. I have a feeling I'm not going to get much done today as I've already started down the internet rabbit hole...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erté is by far my favourite artist - we have three of his original "Mirage Editions" posters from 1980 on our walls here at Dolores Delargo Towers. If you click the "label" at the foot of this post, you'll find much, much more of his work... Jx

      Delete
  2. YOUR SPELLING IS TERRIBLE, MURIEL! Were you tipping the wine box again?

    What a lovely poem. Have never this graphic or read this poem. I can't wait for the heat. Less clothing. Men. Sigh. 'Tis my favorite season. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bulluc sterteth" is a phrase I am determined to weave into conversation in future :-)

      I can't wait for more settled, warm weather - it's rather grey and blustery here at the moment. Jx

      Delete
  3. Sumer is i-cumin in
    Love this song and yes it works well as a poem too as long as you did Chaucer at school
    The sentiment is timeless.
    Love the Erté too but now I have The Isley Brother's 'Summer Breeze' in my head
    "Summer breeze makes me feel fine
    Blowin' through the jasmine in my mind"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And today, it has felt exactly like summer is on its way - glorious! More of the same tomorrow. Let's dig out the Isley Brothers to celebrate. Jx

      Delete
  4. I only remember Vernal Equinox because it's my bday. LOL
    Love the Erté. Gosh he did glorious drawings.
    The poem is very evocative and paints images well. Have never read it before.
    I want summer to be here. Even if I have to fight the hordes at the Osterman beach. Man watching there is always fun.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great day for a birthday! Yes, we're waiting for "men-with-tops-off-weather", too - won't be long... Jx

      Delete
  5. Equinoxe vernal, mon moment prefere aves le reveillon de Nouvel An.
    Sortez le champagne et les canapeset celebrez comme je le fais a Montreal.
    J'espere que le printemps apportera des moments heureux a Londres.
    *d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really should have had champagne and canapes, but for the fact it was a bit too grey and drizzly to feel festive. Roll on "proper" Spring! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]