Saturday 11 December 2021

I've done just about everything except juggle, and I'm working on that

Ninety years old?!

Never...

Me with Rita

"People say that when you get to a certain age that you start to mellow. I have no idea what these people are talking about."

"Retirement is just not in my DNA."

"I love being on stage, I love getting applause, and I love the love that comes across the footlights. It's so much a part of what I do and what I've done most of my life."

"I'm one of those performers who has done just about everything except juggle, and I'm working on that."

"I deliberately state my age because it keeps me honest. I think lying is a bad idea. Sooner or later, someone's going to catch you."

"Bigger than life is not difficult for me. I am bigger than life."

West Side Story, The Ritz, The King and I, Carnal Knowledge, The Rockford Files, The Muppet Show - she's done it all! The first Latina to win an Oscar; she was also only the third person (after Richard Rodgers and Helen Hayes) to complete the set with a Grammy (1972), a Tony (1975), and an Emmy (1977), to become what is frequently referred to as an "EGOT".

She's an icon, and a Patron Saint here at Dolores Delargo Towers.

Many happy returns, Señorita Rita Moreno (born Rosa Dolores Alverío Marcano, 11th December 1931)

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll drink to that - clink, clink, sweetie! Jx

      Delete
  2. Will avoid seeing West Side, as Spielberg tends to ruin most things for me. But Rita. She's a co-producer. Just amazing. That they wrote a special part for her? Meh. But she's dynamite. Always. She was great in Oz. And I saw her in some other recent series and she was spot on. Just adore her. Thanks, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been tipped for an Oscar for her role in the Spielberg remake already - apparently she gets to do Somewhere as a solo number, and it's a highlight of the whole film. I'm still not rushing to see it, however. Jx

      Delete
  3. Iconic, Gorgeous, Talented, the whole package!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolute cracker! And damn' smart with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I wish I could rock a frock like that.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? She looks lovely in all the photos. Jx

      Delete
    2. She does! But second pic down - such a pose!!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I think it's the brolly and the fag-holder that does it for me!! Maybe that's all I need?
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I remember being slim. Once upon a time. Jx

      PS a brolly and a fag-holder are all anyone needs! Just not with wellies.

      Delete
  6. I've held many a fag in my time. Platonically, of course.

    It's fun to see a photo of you with Rita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to get through twenty in a day! Jx

      PS Rita is a lovely woman. At first I was awestruck, but we all ended up chatting in the Green Room at the BFI as if we'd known each other for ages...

      Delete

  7. 90 and Proud of it. Let's be honest she has a lot to be proud of.
    Love the photo of the two of you together. It has to be one of my fave photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good photo - a memory of a faboo occasion. I can't quite believe it was eight years ago! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]