"If you are lucky enough to be a success, by all means enjoy the applause and the adulation of the public. But never, never believe it."
Robert Montgomery (21st May 1904 – 27th September 1981)
Facts about Mr Montgomery:
- When Billy Haines - read my blog about him - refused to hide his homosexuality and marry a woman (and was fired from MGM), it was Robert Montgomery who landed all the romantic leading roles that were originally meant for Mr Haines.
- He was Norma Shearer's chosen co-star in three movies, and he also starred alongside Joan Crawford, Myrna Loy, Marion Davies, Carole Lombard, Greta Garbo, Rosalind Russell and many other of the greatest Hollywood stars.
- Mr Montgomery was (to his discredit) a star witness in the McCarthy trials, and subsequently worked as "style consultant" to (Republican) President Eisenhower.
- He was widely considered to be one of the best dressed men in Hollywood and for years did not carry a wallet because it ruined the drape of his suits.
- His (perhaps more famously remembered) daughter was Elizabeth Montgomery ("Samantha" in Bewitched).