Wednesday 28 April 2021

The Swedish Sex Kitten

The effervescent and glittering Ann-Margret blows out 80 candles on her cake today! Gulp. As famous for her va-va-voom dancing as much as she ever was for her acting or singing talents, she was rocketed to stardom as a more-than-equal co-star to Elvis Presley (with whom she was alleged to be having more than merely a professional relationship) in Viva Las Vegas, and has had a top-billing stage, television and fim career ever since - she has won numerous awards and accolades for her performances, and was nominated for Best Actress Oscar for her role in Tommy.

All hail "The Kitten With a Whip"!


Facts:

  • Ann-Margret's first film was Pocketful of Miracles in 1961, and in 2021 her latest, Queen Bees, is in post-production.
  • Apparently, none other than George Burns - who had seen her singing with a band called the Suttletones in Vegas - gave her her first foothold into showbiz when she landed a supporting part in his show.
  • She was married for 50 years to actor-manager Roger Smith, from 1967 until his death in 2017.
  • Her career was almost ended in 1972 when she fell 22 feet from an elevated stage platform, breaking multiple bones and requiring reconstructive surgery to her face and cheekbones; thankfully it was successful.
  • Director Alan Carr wanted Ann-Margret for the role of "Sandy" in Grease, but she [rightly] argued that at 37 she was too old for a teenager role - the character's surname was changed to "Olsson" (her family name) in her honour when the film was finally made.

Many happy returns, Ann-Margret Olsson (born 28th April 1941)

Much more Ann-Margret over at my other blog Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle

9 comments:

  1. Adore. I remember when she fell. I was very young, but my Mom had these old movie magazines and I read about it holding my breath. She is so beautiful. Oddly, my favorite role of hers? A straight role she played in an Anthony Hopkins picture about a ventriloquist. Gotta Google... one sec. MAGIC. Terrifying and she is so lovely and real. I need to watch that again. Beautiful pics of her... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw Magic, but I have heard of it - sounds similar to the plot of an old British horror film from the 1960s called Devil Doll. Jx

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhhh the movie was indeed eerie! And I'm terrified of ventriloquist dolls. But I had no idea that was Ann. How did the escape me.

      Delete
  2. I will never forget her spastic, and high energy dance scene from the movie Murderer's Row, in 1966. It was one of my favorite campy, zany, movie moments to date.

    And the first picture of Ann is fabulous. Marabou makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Cher, Mitzi Gaynor, Bette Midler, Carol Channing and the rest (and us!), she worshipped at the altar of Mr Bob Mackie!

      "Marabou makes everything better" is the title of chapter seven of my autobiography.

      Jx

      Delete
  3. Great lady and look at all those awesome outfits, attractive while still being able to flop on the couch comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine, now she's 80, she's doing a lot more "flopping on the couch" than she is shimmying in a Bob Mackie showgirl number. Jx

      Delete
  4. Oh. My Gawd.
    She's EVERYTHING! I am currently scrolling through my trusty AppleTV looking for her movies. Absolutely stunning. And talented.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is rather intoxicating - and modest, too: "I was very flattered by the sex-kitten thing because I never thought of myself as that."

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]